Composition of the Industrial Property Board of Appeal
The chairperson of the Industrial Property Board of Appeal (hereinafter – the Board of Appeal) and members of the Board of Appeal, upon a proposal of the Minister for Justice, shall be appointed by the Cabinet for a time period of seven years.
The following person may be a member of the Board of Appeal:
- who is a citizen of the Republic of Latvia;
- who is fluent in the official language at the highest level;
- who has impeccable reputation;
- who has acquired academic or second-level higher vocational education, master's degree or similar higher education;
- who has at least five years of experience in the field related to protection of industrial property;
- who has passed the certification examination of the applicant for the position of a member of the Board of Appeal.
Examination of a matter by the Board of Appeal shall be carried out in the composition of three members of the Board of Appeal. When taking decisions in the disputes, members of the Board of Appeal shall be independent and not subjected to orders of other persons or other direct or indirect influence. The members of the Board of Appeal take decisions by majority vote. None of the members of the Board of Appeal included in the composition for the examination of a matter are entitled to refrain from voting.
Pursuant to the Cabinet Order No. 446 dated 14 July 2023 “Par Rūpnieciskā īpašuma apelācijas padomes priekšsēdētāja un locekļu atkārtotu iecelšanu amatā” (On the reappointment of the chairperson and members of the Intellectual Property Board of Appeal) the Board of Appeal is currently of:
Dace Liberte – Chairperson of the Board of Appeal (specializations – trademarks, designs and patents)
Ilze Bukina – Member of the Board of Appeal (specialization – trademarks and designs)
Ieva Plūme-Popova – Member of the Board of Appeal (specialization – trademarks and designs).